Sunday, August 11, 2013

Round 2 2013 - The first part of my 12wbt journey

As I pressed the join now button I had a mix of feelings...worried, happy, envious, motivated, anxious
I really wasn't sure I could do it, my biggest concerns were being hungry and having time to exercise with a toddler and 7 week old baby.

After doing the preseason tasks and watching Mish's video I felt more confident but the thought I stepping right out of my comfort zone was incredibly scary.

I chose to do the learn to run program as my exercise component as I always I thought it would be good being outside in the fresh air or at home on strength days was a major plus having 2 young children and a husband who is a shift worker.

My starting weight was 104.9kg, when I saw that number come up on the scales I started doubting myself and thinking if I could get into double digits I would be happy , little did I know I would get to that within the first 3 weeks.



Day 1 was kind of empowering as I sat there eating my Bircher museli I felt motivated to do things right, shortly after I headed out to do my first running intervals sessions. Boy did I seriously suck gasping for air after 1min 30 sec of running but I kept going until I finished the workout. I was totally spent in all ways and forms. I struggled with the exercising part for things for 3-4 weeks but the thing that kept me motivated was the fact I had lost over 5kgs in month so I figured I must be doing something right.


 I hit a real stumbling block with my weekly running challenge during weeks 3-5 I just couldn't get over the 8 min or 1 km mark and I remember saying to myself as I walked home from my run 'why am I bothering I'm never going to be able to run 5kms' . My husband was the one who did not let me give up at this point he could see the both physical and mental changes in me and I'm so glad now I listened to him. I just kept plugging and soon enough I was doing it.

1.2kms and 12 mins in week 6, 1.5 kms and 15 mins week 7 and by week 12 I was running for 37 mins and 5 kms.

The weight was literally falling off me



Getting back to the nutrition side of things, the first week was the hardest as I had a massive case of portion distortion as Mish would say but I was snacking in between meals and using herbal teas when I felt hungry which did tied me through and by the end of week 2 I was no longer snacking between meals and the portion sizes were absolutly satisfying me.


Of course I had up and downs like everyone does and occasionally I ate something I shouldn't or overindulged on my treat meal but I soon worked out it wasn't worth it because everytime I would beat myself up mentally for giving in to my demons and to be honest it just wasn't worth it . To have that bit of chocolate didn't make me feel good after I ate it so what was the point.

My goals for the round were to lose 15kgs and participate in a fun run and I nailed them both and much more

I lost 15.9 kgs in 12 weeks

I shrunk by 50cms

Dropped 2 dress sizes

I can now keep up with my 2.5year old son who is full of energy

I am happier

I am starting to enjoy clothes shopping again

I want to look nice when I go out

I am no longer embarrassed to wear bathers in public to take my son in the pool for his swimming lessons

My blood pressure has dropped significantly with my medication level to be reviewed shortly

I ran every step of a 4.2km fun run in week 10 of which half was up hill ( thank you to my very special friend Caley and my gorgeous sister in law Jolene for doing it with me )

I am slowly learning to be awesome ......








2 comments:

  1. OMG!!!! What a transformation. You must feel flipping incredible. Wow.

    Carol
    www.finding-carol.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are kicking ass! Keep up the great work xoxox
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete